##INGREDIENTS (makes 10 servings)##
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tbsp brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
* 1 egg yolk
* 2 tbsp ice water
* 1 tsp white vinegar
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 tbsp cornstarch
* 1/4 cup brandy
* 3/4 cup corn syrup
* 3 eggs
* 2 tbsp butter, softened
* 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
* 1 cup pecan halves
* 1 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
* parmesan shavings
(see INSTRUCTIONS below)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt in food processor bowl with metal blade.
3. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Stir egg yolk, water, vinegar in a bowl.
5. With motor running, drizzle in egg-water mixture. Blend 10 secs.
6. Place dough between 2 pieces of wax paper & roll until large enough to fit a 2-1/2" x 9" fluted tart pan with removable bottom (or 9" pie plate).
7. Peel off top layer of wax paper & place pastry over pan, paper-side up.
8. Gently peel off remaining layer of wax paper & press dough into pan. Chill 15 mins.
9. Filling: Blend sugar, cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk in brandy, corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla until smooth.
10. Arrange apple slices in concentric circles in pie shell. Sprinkle with pecans.
11. Spoon filling evenly over fruit & nuts.
12. Bake pie on lowest oven rack for 15 mins.
13. Reduce heat to 325 F. Bake 40-45 mins until crust is golden & filling has set.
14. Cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate.