* ½ cup granulated sugar
* ¼ tsp cinnamon
* 4½ cups milk
* ¾ cup long-grain rice
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
* ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
* pinch kosher salt
* ½ cup crème fraîche or 35% cream
* 1 egg
(see INSTRUCTIONS below)
1. Sift together ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a pot, combine remaining sugar with the next six ingredients and set over medium-high heat. Heat almost to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
3. In a bowl, blend crème fraîche with egg. Remove 1 cup hot rice and stir into egg mixture, then add to pot. Stir thoroughly to prevent egg from curdling. Cook, stirring constantly, over very low heat for 2 minutes (do not boil). Spoon hot rice pudding into 6-ounce ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours (up to 2 days).
4. To serve, preheat broiler and dust surface of pudding with reserved cinnamon sugar. Place ramekins under broiler until pudding tops are glossy and brown and large bubbles have mostly disappeared, about 7 minutes. Or, use a butane blowtorch and gently sweep the flame across the surface. Let stand 3 minutes before serving, so caramel hardens. Serves 4 to 6.